As the student body of Malaysia’s institutions of higher education continues to diversify, so too does the need for increased cultural sensitivity – teachers’ and students’ – grow. A multi-cultural classroom is one in which teachers and students share similar learning goals while coming from different backgrounds. It is these different backgrounds, cultural-norms, social-norms and expectations that educators must be aware of and sensitive to if we wish to create positive learning environments for our students and less stressful environments for ourselves.
At the end of program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the relevance and importance of cross-cultural awareness
- Share the relevance and importance of cross-cultural awareness with students
- Recognize how teacher and student perceptions influence the learning outcomes and classroom atmosphere
- Employ effective classroom management strategies to manage a variety of cultures within a class
- Create meaningful learning experiences based on a variety of cultures in the classroom
- Display an ability to maintain high expectations for student performance while taking cultural differences into account
- Communicate effectively with students to maximise students’ learning
- Effectively address concerning behavior with appropriate solutions
Lecturers, teachers, trainers, and administrators in educational institutions who are directly or indirectly involved in the teaching and learning environment.
Module 1 – What is Cultural Awareness in the classroom?
- What does it look like?
- What are the challenges with implementation?
Module 2 – Sharing the Cultural Awareness Model
- The Importance of cultural awareness in you and your students
- Setting precedents in order for students to understand and follow the educator’s lead
- Expectations and Follow-Through
Module 3 – Creating your Cultural Awareness Model
- Understanding your own beliefs
- Setting the right example
- Encouraging learners to share your philosophy
- Learning from student beliefs
Module 4 – Enforcing your Cultural Awareness Model
- Effectively sharing Your Rules
- Effectively implementing Your Routines
- Ensuring maximum participation, cooperation and collaboration from students
Module 5 – Incorporating Cultural Differences into your Curriculum
- Culturally diverse teaching approaches
- Reframing inappropriate responses (student and teacher) with suggested methods & strategies
Module 6 – The Culturally Aware Classroom in Real-Time
- Real Time demonstration of Culturally Aware classroom strategies with peer feedback